New regulations under The Animal Welfare Act (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) Guidance 2018 were introduced in October of last year.
These new conditions have a strong emphasis on cat welfare through better design and construction, professional management and record keeping and are a marked improvement from the previous guidance.
Dulverton Lodge Cat Hotel is dedicated to animal welfare and the five key principles, as outlined in the DEFRA Code of Practice for the Welfare of Cats as follows:
- need for suitable environment
- need for suitable diet
- need to be housed with, or apart from other animals
- need to be able to exhibit normal behaviour patterns
- need to be protected from pain, suffering, injury and disease
ARE YOU AWARE?
The old guidance for Catteries came from the Feline Advisory Bureau (FAB) and they would inspect catteries to ensure that standards were met. In 2010 this scheme was closed and the list is now no longer maintained. The standards that were used to measure FAB Listed Catteries have been superseded by the CIEH guidance and now The Animal Welfare Act (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals) Guidance 2018.
FAB re-modeled themselves as International Cat Care. This means that being FAB listed is no longer a sign of a good quality facility with high standards. It is out of date, no longer used and FAB no longer exist.
The CIEH guidelines were adopted by local councils as the minimum required standards for all new cat boarding facilities that they licensed. Catteries built before this date are still subject to the old out of date guidance, but were given 3 years to reach the CIEH standards. All catteries will now be licensed against the new guidance 2018 and will be star rated.
The main reasons our Cat Hotel matches and exceeds the new guidance are:
- All of our suites are designed with solid sides to each run. This ensures that there is a significantlyreduced chance of cross infection.
- All of our suites are larger than the recommended sizes and include different levels for play and sleep, as recommended in the guidance.
- All of our suites are completely separate from outside areas due to our safety corridor. This stops the chance of any escape and ensures that local cats or other animals that may choose to visit the garden and grounds cannot spread any infection to our guests, while they enjoy their stay with us.
- All of our suites have independent thermostatically controlled heating in the sleeping area to ensure that our guests have a warm and comfortable stay. The heating ensures that the temperature never drops below 18ºC, as specified in the guidance. The heating is on for 24 hours every day and our guests have access to the sleeping area whenever they wish.
- To avoid cross contamination all of our surfaces and equipment are either disinfected or disposed of.
- All our guests are monitored throughout the day and we keep records of temperatures, amount and type of food eaten, use of litter, and activity levels. These records ensure that any changes in behaviour are noticed quickly and can be acted on immediately. A summary of your cat’s stay can be provided at the end of their visit.
- We have full Standard Operating Procedures that are followed regarding daily routines, cleaning schedules, long term stays as well as company policies that ensure we act appropriately at all times.
- We have a nominated veterinary practice.
- We are fully insured and we have a health and safety policy, a fire risk assessment, policies which cover long term stays, high temperatures, low temperatures and infection and full cleaning routines to ensure that any risk is reduced and prepared for.
- The Dulverton Lodge Cat Hotel owner is Ofqual qualified to Level 3 in Small Animal Hydrotherapy and Groomer, which includes first aid, fire safety, risk assessment, animal health and well being, animal handling and behaviour. CPD has also been undertaken in cattery management, infection control, fire safety, waste management, veterinary nursing and feline behaviour.
- Please call us to arrange a visit, we are proud of our Cat Hotel and are happy to show it to anyone who is interested in finding out more.
- Dulverton Lodge Cat Hotel is independent, situated in a residential home, so there is always someone on site 24 hours per day. CCTV is in operation to alert to any movement.